Logo

Forums » Lawnbot400 » motor problem

basspro30
John I am trying to make a lawnbot like Urs for a school project in electronics technology. We are just starting to learn about the arduino. I also bought your book arduino robotics. Great book a lot of info. I appreciate any help you can give me in success of my/your project (lawnbot). I just bought 2 jet 2 jazzy wheelchair motors. I have one problem is the connector has 4 wires. Black red and 2 white. From what I read the 2 white wires control a electric brake which if I can't figure out how to hook them all up I can remove electric brake. Was wondering if you know anything about hooking them up to motor controller? Another prob is from what I could find my motors are 24v 40A. Any suggestions on how to make a motor controller for those motors? I was looking at the sabertooth 2x60.
johndavid400

basspro30:

hello friend, glad you like my book.

As far as your motors go, you are correct. The white wires are in fact for the electric brake which is under the metal (or plastic) cap on the back of the motor. For testing, you can apply a 12v signal (polarity should not matter) to the white wires, and you should hear the solenoid click and release the brake from the motor shaft - now you will be able to power the other 2 wires (black/red) with a 24v signal to see the motors spin. For a permanent solution, I typically recommend removing the brakes from the motors so you don't have to worry about constantly powering the release solenoids while in use.

There is an example of how to do this in the book... but typically, you will remove the dust caps and then several bolts using an allen wrench until the only thing left on the back of the motor is the output shaft. Then you will be golden. As for a motor-controller, I would recommend the Sabertooth 2x25 (as the smallest option), but the 2x60 would be super.

basspro30
Thanks so much John. My name is Dennis. Is there a email I can email you personally if I have any question as I continue the project? Mine is dzek_bear@yahoo.com. I was thinking about removing the brakes but wasn't sure if they were even needed. I do think it would be easier to remove them then have to worry about wasting voltage to power them. I want to say kudos on the lawnbot...you have really inspired me to give it a try also. Thanks again for any knowledge you share with me. My class and instructors are really excited to see me make it!!!! I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.
johndavid400
Hi Dennis, thanks and I'm happy to help. I would like to keep common questions on the forums (like the one you asked), as they will likely help others with the same problem. That being said, you are welcome to email if you like (johndavid400 at gmail dot com). If I get the same question several times, it will likely end up on the forums also.